3D Art Through Games - First Person Games



When it comes to First Person Games, it doesn't necessary means First Person Shooter games (FPS). It means First Person Games in general, like Adventures, Action, Shooter and all others that are playable by character (you) in a real 3d world, and when I say real I don't mean this world, I mean digital (in-game) world.

What it means - real 3d world? It means that controllable character (you) is playing through the world in real time, through all three dimensions, and not rendered 2d images like on ordinary games (adventure, rpg, rts or similar), so special artwork is needed for them to look real and nice, and in the same time to be playable. By artwork I mostly mean textures that are assigned to object, character or the world to give it visual recognition and appearance.


Then when you put it all together, we can say it is a 3D Art and I really mean Art, because it has so many elements from witch that art is built on like:
  • 3D Models - to create models (objects and characters) that will stand and represent game
  • Textures - assigned to models that will represent visual artwork
  • FX - In game special effects that add deeper real feeling (lens eff., fog, lightning ...)
  • Other artwork like backgrounds, sky art and similar

That is just a small list of things that represent 3D Art in general, just to get a picture what do I mean when I write about 3D Art through games. I will not do the history of game genre, I will just add couple interesting games artwork as an examples. Most impressions is made by Quake 2 I think and later on Half Life, a long story from then.. But I ask You, do you remember Trespasser? Don't know it? I remember that it made so much impression on me back then with all together - graphics, level design, game play, mood, the story and I can still remember little heart tattoo at character chests (you were playing woman character). And that was Action / Adventure FPS. Little later multi player option made a big difference and all I can say is Unreal Tournament! I must say that there are too many games out there and I'm just writing in General. For one worth to mention is Far Cry because of it's engine that pulls amazing graphics and today that is not an exception.


Today you can't even imagine game without multi player.. So MMO is born and WoW and LoL and so many others, and it is the best concept to me, to get you hours and hours, even months of game play material because it has more than above mentioned - so called social plug in. I think you know what I mean by that.. Where the future goes? Who knows, we will see, but many of awesome games will be published this year, and you can check them from here if you want. Once again I call all the Artists to join Enpower3D Community at google+ if you want to be promoted at higher level! Till then, Enjoy!